Before a flood:
- Find out from your distirct council if your LIM report for your home or business indicates a risk from flooding
- If there is a risk, know where the closest high ground is and how to get there
- Make an emergency plan! Go here(external link) to put one together.
- Have a conversation with family, friends, work and/or school about what will happen if you are stuck due to flooding.
- If farming, know which paddocks are safe to move livestock away from floodwaters, landslides and power lines.
- Think about what to do with your pets and livestock if you have to evacuate
- Look at how you can reduce the risk of future flooding to your home or business
- Check your insurance policy to ensure you have sufficient cover.