When a flood threatens:
- Listen to your local radio stations as emergency management officials will be broadcasting the most appropriate advice for your community and situation
- Follow official emergency management advice and instructions
- Where possible, move pets inside or to a safe place, and move stock to higher ground
- When floodwaters get close to your home, disconnect electrical appliances and move valuables, clothing, food, medicines and chemicals above the likely reach of floodwater
- Turn off the power and gas if told to do so by authorities as it can help prevent damage to your home or community
- Fill bathtubs, sinks and storage containers with clean water in case water becomes contaminated
- If you have to leave your home, take your getaway kit with you.