After a storm:
- Listen to your local radio stations as emergency management officials will be broadcasting the most appropriate advice for your community and situation
- Check for injuries and help others if you can, especially people who require special assistance
- Look for and report broken utility lines
- Contact your district council if your house or building has been severely damaged
- If your property or contents are damaged take notes and photographs and contact your insurance company.
- If you are renting, inform your landlord if there is damage to the rental property
- Ask your district council for advice on how to clean up debris safely.