After a tsunami:
- Continue to listen to the radio for civil defence advice and do not return to the evacuation zones until authorities have given the all-clear
- Be aware that there may be more than one wave and it may not be safe for up to 24 hours, or longer. The waves that follow the first one may also be bigger
- Check yourself for injuries and get first aid if needed. Help others if you can
- Do not go sightseeing
- When re-entering homes or buildings, use extreme caution as floodwaters may have damaged buildings.
- Look for, and report, broken utility lines to appropriate authorities
- If your property is damaged, take notes and photographs for insurance purposes
- If you rent your property, contact your landlord and your contents insurance company as soon as possible.